Sunday, May 17, 2009

Following the Golden Rule on Common Ground: Obama Addresses Notre Dame Graduating Class of 2009

When an outburst erupted from a protestor in the crowd during Barack Obama's commencement address to the Notre Dame graduating class of 2009 today, the President suggested that we not shy away from uncomfortable moments.

Despite our differences, "We must find a way to live together as one human family."

Just a few months ago, in the weeks leading up to the 2008 presidential election, I broke down in tears at a family dinner, overwhelmed by the role I seem destined to play opposite my mother, father and brother -- defending Barack Obama and all things liberal.

I'll fight to the death for what I believe, but when it's 3 against 1 and those three are family members I see just about every week, it's a fight not worth having at the expense of resenting and dreading the company of the people in this world I should love and respect the most.

So I stopped fighting at these family get-togethers and starting listening instead.

Turns out simply listening doesn't threaten my position. On the contrary, the more I listen to my mother, father and brother, the more they listen to me.

"When we open our hearts to those that may not think precisely like we do," Obama said in his speech today, "or believe precisely what we believe, we discover at least the possibility of common ground."

My dad and I agree that animal welfare laws needs to be tougher.
My mom and I agree that we need to fight harder for women's rights in countries beyond our borders.

My brother and I agree that abortion should always be a woman's right to choose. And contrary to his position just a few short months ago, my brother and I agree that gay marriage should be legalalized.

My family and I all agree on the right to bear arms and though we disagree on the means of getting there, my family and I agree that the health care system needs improvement, especially when it comes to doctors accepting kickbacks from drug companies in exchange for prescribing drugs that most Americans simply do not need.

And though our reactions to it come from far different perspectives, most recently we all agree that Nancy Pelosi is an embarassment to the Democratic party.

"If there is one law that we can be most certain of, it is the law that binds people of all faiths and no faith together," Obama said at Notre Dame today.

"It is no coincidence that it exists in Christianity and Judaism; in Islam and Hinduism; in Buddhism and humanism. It is, of course, the Golden Rule – the call to treat one another as we wish to be treated. The call to love. To serve. To do what we can to make a difference in the lives of those with whom we share the same brief moment on this Earth."

Whether it's the broad universal "human family" Obama referenced in his speech today, or the immediate family you call your mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin or friend, leave the battlefield behind in search of a brighter, more promising trek across common ground.

Click this link to read the President's speech to the Notre Dame graduating class of 2009 in its entirety: http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/obamaforamerica/gGxSLx

2 comments:

  1. Meredith,
    Isn't it such a relief to love your family just the way that they are? They do teach us, better than anyone, I believe, how to love our self and all of society!

    Glad we're connecting, and I look forward to many more exchanges w/ you!
    w/ love,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy. I'm loving the "time diet" already. After just one day, seems as though "I am the source of time" is my new mantra, and I'm loving it! Have a feeling I'll be learning a lot from your blog (http://www.dreamandflourish.com) and spreading the word ;-)

    ReplyDelete